Displaced Families - Rent Assistance

Stable Homes Stable Schools - If you are behind in your rent or mortgage there are resources available to you. If you have lost income due to COVID and are not in subsidized housing, Hennepin County assistance may be available. To apply visit www.hennepin.us/rent-help or call 612-302-3160 for assistance in filling out the form. You can apply multiple times and are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. If you are not eligible for these funds, your school also has eviction prevention funds available. For more information, contact your school social worker:  Laura Garcia Sanchez, 612-668-4183, laura.sanchezgarcia@mpls.k12.mn.us for Pre-K through 2nd Grade (mas Latinx); Tasha Novotny, 612-293-5505, tasha.novotny@mpls.k12.mn.us for Grades 3-5.  Or visit our School Social Workers Website here.

Follow this link to find out about more spaces becoming available this winter for people experiencing homelessness.

Emergency rental assistance: Hennepin County offers emergency rental assistance for residents with low incomes who have been financially harmed by COVID-19. Residents can learn more and apply at www.hennepin.us/rent-help and find more information here:

If the pandemic has caused you hardship and you need help catching up on your rent or utility bills, you may be eligible for Minnesota’s COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance. Eligible Minneapolis renters can receive help with rent and utility bills dated on or after March 13, 2020. If you qualify, you could receive up to 15 months of total assistance.

While you can’t be evicted for not paying rent during Gov. Walz’s executive order, rent is still due. When the order is lifted, people owing unpaid rent could be at risk for eviction.

Apply now for RentHelpMN

To apply for RentHelpMN or find more information, visit renthelpmn.org or call 211. The 211 helpline has dedicated multilingual staff available to answer questions about RentHelpMN 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

In Minneapolis, you can also apply through these community partners:

  • Comunidades Latinos Unidos en Servico (CLUES) Assistance in Spanish: 651-362-0162
  • New American Development Center (NADC) Assistance in Somali, Oromo and Amharic: 612-823-0180
  • NorthPoint Health and Wellness Center: 612-767-9198


For food, clothing, financial or medication assistance, the City of Minneapolis has a list of resources for residents who need help.

If you need help accessing additional resources, contact your Whittier school social worker, or call the MPS Mental Health Support Hotline at 612.767.4158.